MAGYAR DEUTSCH ENGLISH
partners
Museums


Museums of Szekszárd

 
 
 

Statues


THE STATUE OF GARAY JÁNOS


The Greenwell square, where the statue can be found, was named after Garay János to Garay tér in 1881. At that time there was a well in the same place where the statue stands now. Garay János, a poet, writer, journalist, editor and the corresponding member of Hungarian Academy of Science was born on 12 October 1812. His first piece of work, the Soldier, was published with the help of Augusz Antal and Bezerédj István. The protagonist of his best-known work is Háry János (The Veteran). The creator of the statue: Szárnowsky Ferenc used the drawings of Barabás Miklós. I was dedicated on 5 June 1898. It was moulded in Paris at Gruet-company. The pedestal was designed by the arthitect Hector d?Espona in the style of late Renaissance. The genius offers a lamel branch to the principal figure( work of Köllő Miklós). The relief on the West represents a scene of the Veteran (Háry János)On both sides of the pedestal titles of the most famous poems of Garay János are carved.

 " Pour into the glass and you will see a miracle?"

(Garay János: Wine song from Szekszárd)
 


PROMETHEUS PARK


The creator of the statues: Kossuth Prize winning -sculptor Varga Imre

The creator of the park: professor Mőcsényi Mihály
The surroundings of the denominative sculpture is the only square in Hungary, which was designed according to the sculptor?s fancy. The richly coloured vegetation was drawn up from 300 different kinds of ornamental shrubberies and flowers. Nowadays you can see just a part of it. Prometheus is famous for stealing the fire from the gods for the humans. The two lammergeyers and the rocks suggest the end of the story, the suffering of Prometheus. Praising the work of the sculptor, one of the lammergeyers sometimes "flies" and is exhibited in different European towns. The original Prometheus statue can be found in Antwerpen, the one in Szekszárd with the 2 lammergeyers is the perfect copy of that.
 

 

THE STATUE OF BABITS MIHÁLY


The creator: sculptor Kis Kovács Gyula

The poet?s bronze statue was placed on the little square next to the community centre which is bearing his name in 1971. From there it was under the platans of the promenade still standing there.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

THE STATUE OF BABITS MIHÁLY


The creator: sculptor Farkas Pál

It was dedicated in 1981. The brooding poet is the inseparable part of his birhplace.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

LOOK-OUT TOWER

The creator: sculptor Kiss István

The composition of the look-out tower was placed there in 1983 with the emblems of the arms of the town. Perhaps the rightful criticism played important role in not finishing the work as names of many living public figures were written on the statue.
The reliefs of local history which were to place in the apses of the pedestal unfortunately were not made.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

MILLECENTENNIAL MONUMENT


The creators: sculptor Adorján Endre and sculptor Farkas Pál

The local government had the monument made for the 1100th anniversary of conquest of Hungary, which was placed on Liszt Ferenc tér in 1996. The motifs of local characteristic features and happenings decorate the marble slabs ( from the town of siklós) symbolizing the last centuries.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

MILLENIAL HISTORICAL PAINTINGS ON PANELS


The creator: painter Baky Péter

The two historical paintings on panels (250cm*500cm) can be found in the Town Hall of Szekszárd, town of county rank. It was dedicated on 20 August 2000. The paintings on panels like montages represent some events and figures from two important periods of town history.
The theme of the one on the right side of the staircase is the legend of the founder when King Béla 1st hands over the deed of foundation to the Diocesan of Pécs in 1061. Facing the composition on the right there are the requisities from the Roman Times, next to them, above, there are round dance, shaman and arrow shooting Hungarians relating to the conquest of Hungary.
On the left the figure of king Szent László appears with a Cumanian girl, and at the corner of the work 3 drinking friars, Franciscan monks can be seen relating to churchmen who made the viticulture unified.
On the left side of the staircase in the centre of the composition are the portraits of important figures of War of Independence in 1848-1849 and the Compromise of 1867 (Petőfi Sándor, Batthyányi Lajos, Kossuth Lajos, Széchenyi István, Csapó Dániel, Bezerédj István, Perczel Mór, priest Szluha György, Garay János, Wosinszky Mór, Dienes Valéria)are surrounded by a flag from 1848 and one from the well-known 1956.
Facing the work on the left Count Augusz Antal and Liszt Ferenc stand, on the right there are the portraits of Mészöly Miklós, Babits Mihály and Baka István. Among them are some parts of characteristic buildings of szekszárd.
 


 MONUMENT OF 1956


The creator: sculptor Csíkszentmihályi Róbert

It was dedicated on 23 October 2000 on Szent István tér.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

STATUE OF SZENT LÁSZLÓ


The creator: sculptor Nagy Benedek

The statue of the patron saint of Szekszárd was dedicated on 27 July 2001 on László day.
According to the legends there stood the fountain of Szent László, where now his statue stands. On the evidence of the ornamented initial (letter P) in the Képes Krónika at the legend of Szent László was transformed into excellently-made statue also functions as drinking-fountain.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

MILLENIUM GATE


The creator: sculptor Szatmári Juhos László

The Millenium Gate was dedicated on 20 August 2001 on Luther tér.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

THE STATUE OF SZENT ISTVÁN


The creator: sculptor Farkas Pál

The statue was unveiled on 20 August 2002 on Szent István tér. It has a great value as it was made fom public subscription. Szigetvári Ernő from Szekszárd was the the leader of donation. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

search
newsletter
You can subscribe to our weekly newsletter here!

MarkCon 2009
Vakok és gyengénlátók
számára
E-HIVATAL KAPCSOLATI INFORMÁCIÓK ADATVÉDELMI TÁJÉKOZTATÓ HONLAP-TÉRKÉP